Previous Page

Graduate School Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

Prospective Students

  • Questions about a specific degree program? 
    • Find link to the program website and to contact information for program faculty and staff on our Programs Offered page. 
  • Submitting application documents? Refer to our Supporting Materials instruction page.
    • Official transcripts and scores must be sent directly from the institution to the Graduate School.  Final transcripts are required from all colleges attended and must indicate courses, grades, degree/s awarded and date/s conferred.  International transcripts must include grade sheets as well as a Certificate of Degree.
    • We accept digital transcripts through Parchment, E-Scrip and National Clearinghouse.  Be sure to select Graduate School, not just University of South Carolina.
    • Unofficial transcripts and scores may be submitted to expedite faculty review, however official transcripts are required before progressing into second term of study. 
    • Additional supporting documents that were not uploaded to an application, may be added on a free Update Request Form.  Refer to the bottom of our application webpage for information about how to use an Update Request Form and to access the link to the form. 
    • Letters of Recommendation usually come through the application.  If needed, additional forms are available in our Forms Library

Newly Admitted Students

  • Questions about next steps after admission?
    • Review the Getting Started links, especially the Registration, Immunization and mandatory Health Insurance information
    • Contact University Technology Services (803) 777-1800 for assistance with setting up Self-Service Carolina or Multifactor Authentication (try the links on our Registration page first).
    • Fellowship, Graduate Assistantship and Tuition Supplement processes begin at the department level.  Student bills will not reflect financial awards or exemption credits until the department submits all paperwork through financial aid and payroll.  Approval processes take a minimum of 3 business days before changes will show on a student’s bill.

Current Students

  • Health Insurance, including waivers, is a Student Health Center issue.
  • Fellowship, Graduate Assistantship and Tuition Supplement processes begin with your department.  Processing for all financial matters takes a minimum of 3 business days to reach student bills.  Your role is to be fully enrolled for the current term and to communicate with your department so that financial processes can move forward. 
  • Special Enrollment/Z-Status questions?
    • Forms are term-specific.  If you are not sure that you selected the current/upcoming term, submit a new form. 
    • Continuing on Z-Status for more than 3 terms requires departmental justification
    • Approved Programs of Study must be on file in the Graduate School.
    • Enrollment for the current term is required before coding.
    • Check Self Service Carolina Student Type to see if status says “Special”

Fall 2018 Graduates

  • Clearance processes will not be complete until the end of January. 
  • Diplomas are printed and mailed from the Registrar’s Office after clearance processes are complete